There are many benefits to participating in Pilates and Yoga classes, especially during your pregnancy.
Both forms of exercise can lend themselves to a more gentle style of workout without skimping on important strengthening work for your changing body.
The best time to start your Prenatal classes is early in your 2nd Trimester. As for Postnatal, you can generally begin 6 weeks after the birth of your baby, or 12 weeks following a caesarean – though best to get clearance from your Doctor first.
Some of those benefits you may experience from your classes are:
- Relief of tension in lower back, hips, chest, upper back, neck and shoulders.
- Pelvic floor strength and stability, aiding the physical demands on the body as you and baby grow. Can also prevent many potential difficulties post-partum
- Postural awareness and improved balance as your centre of gravity changes
- Develop and maintain strength in legs,hips, back, arms and shoulders
- Develop and maintain a suitable level of core strength and stability for assistance during pregnancy, and to help speed up post-partum recovery
- Help you maintain a healthy weight
- Improve circulation, reduce fluid retention and swelling
- Decrease the risk of pre-term labor and pregnancy induced hypertension
- Breathing techniques to relax the mind and body, regulate heart and blood pressure, and to use during birth. Ujjayi breath (Yoga breathing) can even assist the body in reducing adrenaline production during labor and promote release of oxytocin which helps labor progress
- Allows you time to slow down, connect with your body and growing baby
- Provides a lovely stretch with guidance to prevent overstretching due to increased relaxin and elastin in the body
- Stress and anxiety relief
- Enjoy a sense of community with fellow class participants